Sunday, April 22, 2012

What is Earth Day all about?

Dear readers, that is a great question...

Earth Day reminds us we all share the same planet. Sharing Earth means taking responsibility for what we use and how we use it. It is a day to think of the environmental challenges we face and how to solve them. Protecting Earth is every person’s and every country’s responsibility. 


The photo above speaks volumes because our planet is truly in our hands and our responsibility to take care of our planet for the next generation.

What choices do you and your family make to protect our planet? 

I'll be honest with you, this is something I did not grow up doing but it has taken me years to learn and show our children how to help protect our planet. I'm by far perfect at it so I won't claim to be but the important thing is 'we' are doing something to help!


Here are a few ways you can help:
  • Walk or ride a bicycle to school, the park, or the store. Encourage your parents to walk or ride to work, too. This is a great way to help reduce the pollution created by cars, trucks, buses, trains, and airplanes.
  • Plant trees. Trees help keep the air clean.
  • Do not litter. Pick up litter on the sidewalk, street, beach, or riverbank. This will help keep the environment free of contaminants.
  • Create a compost pile for food scraps and plant waste from the garden. This is a good way to cut down on the amount of trash that goes into a landfill. As a bonus, compost helps create rich soil for gardening.
  • Recycle! Recycling is an important part of keeping Earth clean. It is very easy to do. By giving old things a new life we put less pressure on important resources all of us will need in the future to survive. 



This is how our family helps...


Recycle everything we can or upcycle (reuse for other purposes)




 Recycle and upcycle our meat and produce trays

  


   Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins or paper towels




  Huck towel replaced paper towels




  Reusable bags for our grocery and retail shopping




  Make our own cleaning supplies




  Make our own laundry soap

Click here for recipe  







Use toiletries that are made from recycled packaging







Use scrap copy paper from Chuck's work for Payton to draw and color








Even use empty boxes for playhouses for ponies and teddy bears






Eat organic products that participate in packing with recycled materials









Recycle our food scraps in our compost bin


We had a beautiful garden with three different types of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, green peppers, cayenne peppers, strawberries, rosemary, cucumbers and a blueberry bush but sadly last year we had to take it down after my mom passed and being in school full-time there was no time to maintain it, plus the neighborhood stray cats kept using it as a litter box. But here are some photos of our little raised garden...

 
(These photos don't do our garden justice since I took them at the time with my iPhone)






Our children learn by watching us make good choices to help protect our planet...



 Click here to read a great little blog, Teach Mama on 5 easy ways to raise earth-friendly kids

 




Let's all do our part! 







revisedBADGEselfie


 




14 comments:

  1. Great post!! We do a lot of the same things here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Earth Day to you! This is a great post - we do a lot of the same things here too! And your garden is gorgeous!!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy earth day!!! Love The garden pix! Great post ;) we have the same kitchen towels, it's no surprise! Miss you guys & always love seeing your blog! Give the kiddos a smooch for us! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! We used to have a compost pile...now I want to do it again...our garden is just getting going...but yours was pretty amazing last year! I have the plates that match your bowls hanging in my kitchen...I had the mugs...but have broken them all. Great suggestions, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Hope you all had a great weekend.

    Kim - Can't wait to see pics of your garden. We have the plates that match the bowls too. We got them for our wedding gift 10 years ago this year. Love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @All Mother Earth says, “Thank You for doing your part!” and thanks to my wife for taking the time to preserve a little bit of earth by teaching our children to reuse, reduce and recycle…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pic of you and your daughter reading on the bed. These are the days to remember!

    :-) AKD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of your planet-friendly ideas! I think making your own cleaning supplies and some toiletry items is HUGE-- these are such a source of awful elements entering our soil and waterways, not to mention all of the packaging...

    One of our best contributions is buying most of our food fresh from the open markets, and from our butcher. We bring very little packaging home, and recycle what does show up. One of the big things to consider, however, is all of the plastic bags used in the open markets here in England-- I bring mine from home in my market trolley, and use them as many times as possible before recycling.

    Also, I love your garden! And the little bit I could see of your yard looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're huge on recycling, even my 3 year old asks if something can be recycled. If we teach our children the different ways to help the earth it's just what they know :-)

    New follower from Monday Meet Up
    http://lifeexperienceneeded.blogspot.ca/2012/04/what-you-missed-last-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can we come live with you???? I love your garden. Even my hubby was all up in your pictures! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!

    I love this post; these are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Earth day, it's so important to keep our planet clean! I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there! I am stopping by from the Monday Meet up. I love the idea of making your own laundry soap! I can't wait to try! I blog over at http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ which actually goes along perfect with your post because we find everything at garage sales! Check us out when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The garden looks great! I've got a few spring veggies from mine but the summer veggies are the real prize and it looks like you've got quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. It makes my day!